Thursday, October 21, 2010

1-12-2004

Corky the corky reindeer, cutting him out hurt my thumb!!!!

  • I am Cooking: Vegetables later on
  • Labradors Spotted: A learner Guide Dog!!!

Peri went to the Vet and had an exuberant and rowdy time. She made happy noises and leaped about onto the bench seat and all the other people patted her because she was so happy. Dr Tim said she was at the Vet on December 2 nd last year for the same thing. She had an injection and has some drops to go into her eyes. She is so happy today. Harki sulked yesterday but she is happier today as well.

I have just managed to take a wafer thin slice of skin off the pad of my thumb with the extremely sharp Stanley knife. Ow. I have stuck the bit of skin back on with antiseptic lotion and wound it up shroud like in a swathe of stuff. It is doing that throbbing thing and no doubt will be in the way of everything I want to do for the next three weeks. I was cutting up the corks to make 21 Corky the Reindeer for Karen’s class. You need 5 ordinary corks and a champagne cork. Cut a slanty piece of one top edge of 4 corks. Cut another in half and then do the same. Cut one little piece in half to make ears and use one other for the tail. Cut a slanty piece of the bulbous end of the champagne cork too. Now, glue gun the legs together in pairs, with the slanty pieces on the outside, them glue gun the pairs of legs together. Glue the body on top. Add the tail. To make the head, make holes in the head and add twig antlers, then the ears and finally pin or glue on sequin or bead eyes. Glue the head to the body. You can add a halter/reins and a bell and a tartan ribbon blanket. These are very cute and easy to make if you can do all the cutting without actually cutting yourself!!!

Recipe of the day….

Swirly Shortbread

You can process the mixture all at once, or cream the butter and sugar and stir in the rest – you choose!!

Shortbread

90 g butter

110 g caster sugar

185 g plain flour

1 egg

Filling

¼ cup almond meal

2 tbspn brown sugar

1 tspn cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar, mix in egg, then flour. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes and then roll out into a rectangle with a thickness of about 5mm ( ¼ of an inch??)

Mix the meal, brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the dough, roll up tightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Make 1 cm thick slices and bake at 180 C ( 160 fan-forced) for 15-18 minutes.

I think you could add anything to sugar and meal , like choc chips, or slivered almonds, lemon rind etc.

My thumb has stopped hurting now I am not thinking about it. I have been quite busy today, in relative terms!! I have printed out my Christmas Card list to go into my new Christmas book. I am typing up the recipes I usually use and adding them, also lists of what I cook each year etc. I have 10 things and some are new, but still Christmassy. I am writing with my lovely new pen, it is black as there were no proper smudge proof ones at the newsagency, an Elite Uniball Vision!!! It writes smoothly and with no effort which is what I wanted. I have about 16 more cork bodies to make too. I ant to make the Santa brooches for people as well, so I will make a little production line. I must buy beads and some white felt.

The Harry Potter 3 movie with the bonus Lego bus has been sent and should be here soon. We had a lovely time last night although one person didn’t turn up, but she is having a career crisis. I had the fish, yum, and a glass of bubbly and 2 cups of tea. I was home at 9-40 and in bed by 10-30 pm. The Labradors have all had drops, Peri in her eyes and Harki had pretend ones in her ears. She sat on the bed pleading for some medical attention!!! I hope the postman comes soon as I want to get a parcel, I need a parcel and there should be 3 things coming from the Ebay. It has all been rather exciting and I do want to go to the book shop to get some new books but I am far too sleepy : if I can’t control the Stanley knife, I shouldn’t be driving!!!