Thursday, October 21, 2010

12-11-2004

On the edge of reasonality - the eve of dress-srtuction

  • I am Cooking: Mushrooms on Toast
  • Books I am Reading: Cast a Bright Shadow
  • TV /DVDs I am Watching: L&O Ornery and SVU

My review of Bridget Jones – The Edge of Reason.

I only saw 75% of the film as some parts were so excruciatingly embarrassing that I had to block my ears, close my eyes and slouch down in my seat. As a child I would hide in the laundry in embarrassing parts, how I needed a laundry last night. It does mean that I will have to see the film once or 10 times more though and then buy the DVD. It is not in the same class as the first film. Bridget looked filled out but sexy in BJD and wore good make up and clothes. In this film she looks as if she has no make up on at all most of the time, her hair is terrible and so are her clothes. I don’t know who was in charge of this, but they did a poor job. It did seem difficult to believe she would have let herself go so completely in 8 weeks. Both Colin Firth and Hugh Grant were excellent. Hugh was tanned and a cad, and Colin was trimmer than in ‘Love Actually’ and impossibly tall. It is worth going to see for their fight scene alone. I laughed till I cried – literally. There is the appalling gold dress, the lilac wedding renewal, the Madonna gaol scene, the kiss, the ‘other’ kiss, the skiing : all very good, but the parts do not add up to the same kind of whole as BJD. I recommend you watch them consecutively, then they will add up to one very good movie – as opposed to one excellent and one quite good. The music was great, it was older so I kenw it all. Buy the CD.

‘Little Britain’ was excellent last night, as was ‘Kath and Kim’ and I have L&O Ornery and SVU to watch today. Hopefully over the weekend I will catch up on all the TV including “Jeremiah’. We have completely stopped getting ‘Enterprise’ on WIN ( or LOSS) TV . I have been for a walk OH and my mobile just messaged me to pay up!! I have prepaid and it is only $30 for 6 months. As I don’t really like my mobile, and use it to SMS rather than ring, it is very cheap. Some plans are $30 a month!! It is a safety thing really, so if I keel over walking the Labradors or somewhere else, I can ring for help. In the supermarket yesterday I came over all weird, it was too hot and I felt pale, and a nice lady asked if I was OK. I go an interesting colour according to Karen when I am not well. It is to be hoped it is a nice colour – but I don’t reckon it is. When I was really sick I went to ‘Look Good Feel Better’ with other women from the Holman Clinic and all the cosmetic companies donated make up and people came along and we all played at doing our faces up!! It is true though, sometimes if you don’t feel well a bit of colour on the face can help.

My car odometer had 2 excellent readings yesterday : 088880 and then 088888. It was very exciting – I have no life – and now we await with similar breathlessness 088988.

Peri is very affectionate lately, she is turning from a puppy dog into a real dog, soon she will be 3. It has a calming influence I think. She has a toy – an empty baked beans tin and she runs around with it in her mouth like she had OCD. As a child I was a bit weird, which is no surprise. I did banging the back of my head on the wall a lot and this did me no harm ( eye twitches obsessively) I think I was born too late, although I love my computer, DVD, VCR etc I like everything else old. I like the Rat Pack, Tom Jones, 30s and 40s music and films, the old film starts. It was all good then . I long for the Fred Estaire and Ginger Rogers Film Fests. I would like to be like in the Diana Galbaldon books, have all the medical help but live 20 years or more earlier!!! I’d like to keep my memories and knowledge so I didn’t have too stressful a time. Since my adolescence was not traumatic at all that wouldn’t worry me. I would miss TV but I could still have Labradors so that would be OK. Eccentricity was treated with much more respect then too.