Thursday, October 21, 2010

27-10-2004

10:51:37 AM

Thinking in the rain ( for 'tis teeming down )

  • I am Cooking: Toast
  • Books I am Reading: Going Postal
  • TV /DVDs I am Watching: Cold case

I have been once again thinking, I know that is a scary thing, but sometimes I think funny things. That is funny, peculiar, as well as funny ha ha. I am reading “Going Postal” and it is full of deep and meaningful things clothed in the mufti of a satire or amuse-bouche of the mind. It is about the power of words, and indeed the pen is mightier than the sword, unless there is a lot of stabbing going on, but ,hey, Willow did it with a sharp pencil!! The spoken word is so transitory, and even if others do remember what you said, they only remember their perception of what was said. One Hitler of a school Principal was wont to say

‘nothing is written in stone’, his get out of jail free statement, and words are powerful things. History is written by the winners so we only have their word for what happened. This has not stopped the losers from rewriting their history though. Both the Japanese and the German governments have of late taken steps to rewrite their involvement in WW2. They are editing out the bits they don’t like and invoking the parts they do with religious fervour. Now I’m not saying we should be like my grandfather who would have nothing Japanese-made in his house, but there is a sense that if these countries negate their past, they also negate the consequences and actions that came after. Children who are 9 years old today have little or no recollection of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games and might read about them in a book, or see a retrospective on the TV. How much more likely is it, as the people who lived through those wars die, that the importance of the events will fade? I know ANZAC Day has experienced a resurgence in the last 10 years, but because Howard likes the armed forces and their reflected glory, he has become a peddler of warmongering and the celebration of war, rather than the commemoration of war.

I lost my Santa, this is not as serious as you might expect, so last night I whipped another brooch, one up to the beard, moustache and hair stage. They will be much quicker on the machine for the actual sewing of the body. I am making cushions for the Library of Karen’s school. They are – wait and I will look in the bag - a surfboard, a shark, an elephant and a skateboard. They are all cut out etc and you just have to sew and stuff. They come with inferior thread so I will purchase some proper cotton - as opposed to the improper stuff-tomorrow. I am not going out at all till 3-30 pm to be a homework coach. I am going to do some more of the knitted nativity, have lots of cups of Earl Grey Tea and soup and toast and I will watch Cold Case . Enterprise is not on tonight – well it is on in the weekly guide but not in the daily guide. I am very sad.

I like conjunctions. I use a lot of conjunctions. Here are a lot of conjunctions -

after, although, as , as if, as long as, as long as, as though, because, before, even if, even though, if, if only, in order that, now that, once, rather than, since, so that, than that, thought, till, unless, until, when , whenever, where, whereas, wherever, while, both…and, not only…but also, not…but, either…or, neither…nor, whether…or, as…as, and then my favourites which you remember by the acronym FANBOYS – for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so.

I shall check my emails and then off for a nap!!!


Vale TeeVay

  • I am Cooking: Banana Custard
  • Books I am Reading: Maths Text books
  • TV /DVDs I am Watching: Nothing, having a crisis!!!

Well, the big TV has died, it has been flickering for the last week or so. This morning it was so dreadful there was a very big noise and a flicker. Then it went all black . It has done this before twice, this is the third time and so if I pay to have it fixed, if possible, then it would take the cost to that of a whole new TV. I shall endeavour to purchase a new TV tomorrow. Of course this had a domino effect. I had to take the smaller TV from the bedroom with the VCR that is tuned to it and set it up in the lounge room. Thankfully it works fine but the ABC is a bit fuzzy. OK, I thought, I will adjust it, but the fine tuning wouldn’t load as there wasn’t an ‘OK’ button, as Peri ate the remote control when she was a puppy. So I emailed the Panasonic people for help, and wouldn’t you know it, NOW it works. Bah Humbug!!!!!

Well, I am able to tape things and also I have rung WIN TV and the nice lady said that Star Trek – Enterprise will be on despite what the TV guide in the paper says!! A win all round there.