Thursday, October 21, 2010

10-10-2004

In a slight Georgette Heyer decline

  • I am Cooking: Dog Biscuits in a bone shape
  • Books I am Reading: One for the Money
  • TV /DVDs I am Watching: Hustle

Since last night when the election results were decided I have been in a slight Georgette Heyer decline. I wanted to take to my bed. I fear with the sale of Telstra now the Coalition has likely control of the Senate, my phone calls will need to be conducted via cans and string. If timed local calls are introduced I will have to email, although it may affect the internet connection too. The sale of Telstra was barely mentioned during the campaign, but there was Nick Minchin foreshadowing it before the night was over.

Margo Kingston has written her diary entry on the results of the election:

http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/margo_kingston/000321.html

There is nothing to be done now, however, and living in a democracy means living with the results whether you like them or not, whether you believe they are based on truth or lies. As one who is not at work, I won't be affected by any Industrial reform changes, but if they come, there may be opposition.

On the plus side, Green's candidate Christine Milne was elected to the Senate. It is always interesting to see the Senate voting here. We had 26 or 27 candidates so it was easy to vote below the line and decide the preferences yourself. Nowhere else has such idiosyncratic voters - and we use the Hare-Clark system for our State elections too.

On Insiders and Business on the ABC many of the commentators spoke of the bust following the current economic boom. It is a sure bet that interest rates will rise next quarter and will continue to do so. Since it is almost always true that Governments lose elections, Oppositions don't win them, it may take a recession to chage the status quo.

Ah well, life goes on, and no doubt there will be another crisis that will overtake my decline soon!!!!