Thursday, October 21, 2010

8-11-2004

Kiss me Keel

Howard Keel is dead. This is very sad, there are not many of the old actors left now : Paul Newman...who else??? I love Kiss me Kate. I love all the songs and I love Showboat too, it always makes me cry at the end and Calamity Jane too, though not as much. We had these records when I was a little girl and my mum still has them today-

  • Kiss me Kate
  • Camelot
  • Oliver
  • Calamity Jane
  • Oklahoma
  • The Music Man
  • The Sound of Music
  • Westside Story
  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • Mary Poppins
  • My Fair Lady
  • The King and I
  • Carousel
  • South Pacific
  • Guys and Dolls

We listened to these all the time, the record player ran hot!! I am sure there were others but I can't remember them here and now. When I walk the dogs I like to sing songs from musical!!! I particularly like Kiss me Kate, Oklahoma, Camelot, Guys and Dolls.. No it's too hard I like them all particularly well. I would rather listen to these than any modern stuff!!!!


Mama, just quilt a man, put a gun against his head, sewed it to him, now he's hemmed.

  • I am Cooking: 5 things!!!
  • Books I am Reading: Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
  • TV /DVDs I am Watching: DoNovAn -Tom Conti/Samantha Bond

Well, the Rajah Quilt was a tiny bit of an anticlimax as they had it folded so you could only see ¼ of the quilt. It was lovely and so good for an aged piece of bed linen. It was broderie perse , which is where a very expensive floral material is carefully cut up into motifs which are then appliquéd onto a plain background. This makes the material go a long way. Each of the female convicts received about 5 kilograms/ 10 lbs of fabric. You can even see where they have pricked their fingers and there is a tiny brown spot of blood.

Sausages are always an anticlimax ( except for the chorizo from the Wursthaus ) and in the latest Terry Pratchett book this phenomenon is explained. When sausages are ‘burned’ as sacrifices to the gods, their very essence, the sausage-osity of the sausage wafts to the heavens and we are left with a mere shell of a sausage. That is why sausages and pies always smell a lot better than they taste!!!!

Peri is not well, she has a plant allergy and her little muzzle is pink. I am anointing it with some ointment but she may have to go to the Hospital tomorrow.

Today and tomorrow I am cooking –

  • Donna Hay’s chocolate brownie – the best
  • Spicy cheese and bacon muffins
  • Blueberry baked cheesecake
  • Roasted carrots in paprika
  • Lamb and pork Korma!!!

I shall have to ration myself, as the standing up is a bit wearing.

In Spotlight today there was such a queue I sat on the floor to wait and SMS-ed people : it was a long wait. I am putting a new lining into K’s bag for her. Expensive leather backpack bag with a terribly cheap lining. I am now, however, going to have a cup of tea and some pasta and then a nap till Dr Who. Oh I also finished all the parts of the Knitted Nativity and have sewn 3 sheep but then it was all too much and I had to stop when I sewed a mutant leg on in the wrong place ( as if there is a right place for a mutant leg???)