Thursday, October 21, 2010

19-10-2004

The Ten Carroll-dments

  • I am Cooking: White Choc & Raspberry Muffins
  • Books I am Reading: Going Postal is about to arrive!!!!
  • TV /DVDs I am Watching: Threat Matrix - sad but good.

"Lynne, hast thou slain the Bookerwock?
Come to my letterbox, my beamish books!
Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
I chortled in my joy.

'Twas brillig and the slithy tomes
Did gyre and gimble in my house;
All mimsy were the sneaky books,
And Lynne's mome raths I espouse.

I like poems, I like big whopping poems like Sea-Fever by John Masefield and Requiem by Robert Louis Stevenson and W B Yeats and John Donne and Shakespeare's sonnets etc etc. I wrote this poem to Lynne when a shipment of books was missing and then found - like the shepherd and his sheep.

I like Jabberwocky too because of all the strange words. I like words and the way they sound and the way you have to move your mouth to say them - and some words are silly - Tim, what sort of a word is that? It is a sound and if you say it often enough it becomes more and more ridiculous!!! It is, too, half of TimTam. I can't eat TimTams any more , well possibly one is all I could manage. There are myriad kinds now, but the original is still the best!!!

I am off to my Freefrom knitting class now. Here is the pattern I wrote up during the week- happy grapes!!!

‘Bunch of Grapes’ Stitch

Cast on 3 stitches,

*K1

inc by knitting into back and front of next stitch 5 times, turn ,

P5, turn,

K5, turn,

P5, turn,

K5, pass 4th stitch over 5th, then 3rd, 2nd and 1st,

K stitch on left hand needle,

P3*

You may do 2 more rows of stocking stitch to make a bigger ‘grape’.

To make a row of ‘grapes, cast on an odd number of stitches and K1 in between each ‘grape’, when row is completed, P one row and then cast off.

To make a column of ’grapes’ work from* to * -and then continue in the same manner- you can have a column of 2 grapes by casting on more stitches at start.

To make a ‘bunch of grapes’ complete from * to * once, but inc in first and last purl. Then K1 * to *, K1, * to *,K1. Continue as desired.