Thursday, October 21, 2010

17-10-2004

The Prodigal Book

  • I am Cooking: Vegetables
  • Books I am Reading: Huff and the Well-Read book
  • Labradors Spotted: None, only mine
  • TV /DVDs I am Watching: Voyager and Shakespeare and Hustle!!!

O frabjous day! Callooh ! Callay! The Library book that was lost has come home!!! I looked everywhere, I looked absolutely everywhere, and when I had given up entirely I finally looked in the tub by the Dog gate - we have a baby gate to block off the kitchen as Peri ate dark chocolate once, and not so much died, as turned into The Flash, and was outside running and playing all night - obviously I thought what a good idea to put things I have to remember in the tub by the back door - so I did, in a carry bag ready to go. I must stop having good ideas and revert to my - well , continue my usual method of just putting things where they are now and not moving them.It does mean that I no longer have to pay a fine or go and tell them I have lost the book.

I slept last night from about 5 till 6-30 pm and then from 6-45 till 8-30 am this morning. I really needed the sleep and the two multivitamins have not really made any difference at all.

I did find a marvellous book I had been given and not read yet, so it is an ill wind that blows nobody any good - it is called 'How to become ridiculously well-read in one evening' by E O Parrott, and here is the entry for Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice"-

'Marry well' is Bennet tenet: Bingley singly must remain
Since classy Darcy ( Lizzy-dizzy) thinks he's far too good for Jane.
Rummy mummy, jaunty aunty, these would drag both gallants down-
Plus the younger siblings' dribblings over officers in town.
See the specious Wickham trick'em with his tales of birthright gloom,
See how hideous Lydia's ruin looms before she gets her groom;
Classy Darcy saves the bacon, shaken out of former pride:
Is he Lizzy's destined love, to shove her prejudice aside?
Has she clout to flout that matron, patroness of priestly coz
(He whose ludicrous proposings Rosings rules-like all he does?)
Darcy oughter court her daughter, destined his through two decades.......
'Mulish, foolish girl, remember Pemberley's polluted shades!"
Does she share his great estate, or can't Aunt Catherine be defied?
Yes! and ere their bells ring jingly, Bingley too shall claim his bride.
This is very hard to say but I love the rhymes and I think I would like to learn it off by heart. There is not enough learning off by heart. At school we had to know the Creed and the Magnificat and the Rosary and all the other prayers. Now I can barely manage the first line, this does reflect 25 years of dedicated and hard work at 'unremembering ' though. In town yesterday a man tried to give me a pamphlet about god and I said I didn't believe in god and he sarcastically answered " Oh, so you believe in sex and drugs and rock and roll?' I told him I believed in Labradors - they sleep, ea, have fun, play and love you unconditionally don't they?? Much better than sex and drugs and rock and roll which are all highly over-rated. True, the drugs did slightly cure me, but the side effects were almost killers - what you lose on the swings you lose on the roundabouts too.
There is more Shakespeare this afternoon , I have so much TV to catch up on. I watched the Paris and B'lanna are having a baby episode just now. Voyager isn't my favourite Star Trek series but the occasional good episode pops up evey now and then. We still have the last series of DS9 to see yet here.
Tonight I must speak to my mother, and if life had background music the cloister bells from the TARDIS would be tolling their socks off now. I had best gird my loins ( Best sign at the AFL Grand Final as reported, I didn't watch it, was one that said "Go The Loins". Those lucky people who were watching a matching of the players' loins, rather than the Brisbane Lions!!!!!!!!)
I will fill you in on her bon mots tomorrow,they are usually worth repeating, especially if Omar Sharif is involved!!!!!